Monday, December 07, 2009

TWD: Pecan Sables

You don't have to tell me how good Dorie's sable recipe is. Just this past summer I was swooning over the spiced version--such good flavor, such good texture, such easy, delicious little cookies.

So this time I decided to shake it up a bit, and try a pecan version. I added ground roasted pecans to the dough, and rolled the outside of the cookies in the same ground pecans. I'm afraid the coating pushed their appearance from "rustic" to "chewed up." Next time I'm sticking with plain sugar around the outside instead.
The taste was good, although I wished I'd added some spices along with the pecans--they could have used a little more oomph. But I loved the texture, as always, and these were the perfect topper to a bowl of pumpkin praline ice cream.

I still need to try some other additions, like citrus zest, or parmesan, or grated chocolate. These sable and I have a lot more bonding to do before we're done. What's your favorite variation?

Pssst! If you haven't already, don't forget to enter the giveaway to win a gift certificate for free Oh Nuts! merchandise!

20 comments:

  1. Liz, these sables look delicious! Sorry they didn't taste as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's silly, but I didn't even think about eating these with ice cream. Nice idea. They look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Pecan would probably be my favorite, as I love those Mexican Wedding cookies/Russian Tea Cake/Shortbread thingies. But I played around with citrus and separately with chocolate/toffee/caramel. I think yours look great, but definitely even better with the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! I bet the pecan version was wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cookies! I am going to try the other versions soon. This was a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With the pecans, did they taste like Mexican Wedding cookies?

    I almost made them this way just to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful. I'm loving all the variations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh a pecan version!? Love love love! With pumpkin praline ice cream!? Love even more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:11 PM

    I wasn't thinking "chewed up" when I saw them. They look better than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby would have loved your cookies! I made mine plain this go round, and he commented they would have been great with pecans. Men! Yours look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for baking along with me this week!

    They look good to me! Give me rustic and tasty every time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually really like the pecans on the outside - maybe some maple flavoring in there next time?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I want Pumpkin Praline Ice Cream to go with my cookies. Lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:17 PM

    The pecans sound great. Maybe some cinnamon would be a good addition?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like rustic. And I like the idea of the pecans. My favorite nut and good on almost everything.

    And the Pumpkin Praline Ice Cream. Where is THAT recipe???

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! Love the variation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That ice cream and cookie combo sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rustic is good - these sables look very cute :) Pecan sounds fantastic, parmesan sounds pretty cool too. And of course everything goes better with ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came so close to making mine pecan but went with cinnamon instead. I can almost taste yours with that ice cream...I bet they were fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look beautiful and with the pumpkin praline ice cream-wow, I bet they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete