Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Guessing Game

Guess who just had a birthday?
That's right, the hungry hungry hubby, the ravenous rhino, the Cool J to my LL, just celebrated a milestone birthday.


Guess how old he turned?
Every day closer to decrepitude now!

Guess how we celebrated?
We had a little-boy party with old-fashioned party games, including this variation on Pin the Tail on the Donkey. (He's almost finished with his PhD and wants to be a professor.)

Guess what his birthday dessert was?
None other than Dorie's pecan pie! Pecan pie is his absolute faaaaavorite dessert, and it was beautiful serendipity that it was chosen as one of this month's recipes. And let me tell you, Dorie knows how to make a mean pecan pie. He loved it. I actually made a mondo 11" deep dish version, and doubled the recipe in the one crust.


Guess how I fed it to him?
"Make like a dolphin and jump for it, boy!"


Guess how I ate it myself?
Ever so delicately, with my pinky finger out.

Just kidding! It was more like this:

Guess how we ate the leftovers?

In huge slabs with melty vanilla ice cream.


Guess the best part about this pecan pie?
The ooey, gooey innards full of chocolate chunks and toasted pecans. Props to Beth for the great pick, and head on over to her blog for the full recipe.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Great post! HB to the hubs...30 is big, but getting his PhD will be huge. We loved this pie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect birthday dessert! looks like you guys had fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that does look thick and big and delicious for the birthday boy! What does he want to teach. My husband is a professor, too! (Accounting) about 5 years now. Life is so much more fun after the PhD! ;)
    I made mini pies--because I knew I would eat too much of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you and the birthday boy liked it! Thanks for baking along with me. I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still depressed about missing Jason's birthday, and now I find out there was pie??? Gah!
    Happy 30th, Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thirty and finishing PhD. Two HUGE milestones.

    And the perfect pie to celebrate. It is lovely.

    And delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful birthday celebration! Merry Chirstmas and best wishes for the New Year and happy belated birthday to the hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks absolutely scrumptious.
    Have a wonderful new year ahead!

    Julius
    from Occasional Baker

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still depressed about missing Jason's birthday, and now I find out there was pie??? Gah!
    Happy 30th, Jason!
    Extenze

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! Happy BD to your hubby! And it looks like you both enjoyed the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evinizden pasta,börek,çöreğin eksik olmadığı,kalbinizin tatlı anılarla dolacağı,sağlığınızın tam kıvamında olduğu,cebinizin tıkır tıkır para kaynadığı,neşenizin kulak memesi yumuşaklığında olduğu ,birseninmutfagi.com 'u ziyaret etmediğiniz bir gününüzün bile geçmediği bir yıl diliyorum....

    Afiyetle kalın Birsence'de kalın...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy I discovered your website. However, I would like to see more details about this topic.

    ReplyDelete