Saturday, December 05, 2009

Deep Chocolate Brownies

Recently I received some samples of TCHO baking chocolate to try. If you're not familiar with TCHO, they're an artisan, bean-to-bar chocolate company based in San Francisco. I'd tried their chocolate bars in the past, and found them very good, but far too pricey to do any baking with...it's the kind of chocolate you savor square by teensy tiny square.



So I was excited to hear that they now have a baking line of 66% and 68% baking "drops," designed with cooking and candy making in mind. I am here to tell you, though, that the chocolate is also pretty amazing eaten straight from the bag. (All in the name of research, you understand.) The 68% conventional blend was my favorite--smooth, rich, with a deep chocolate taste. The 66% organic blend was very fruity and bright, and I can't wait to try it in truffles this Christmas. I think it'll be delicious with citrus flavors, or maybe paired with my new BFF, pistachios. But back to the chocolate!


I took it for a test spin using a brownie recipe provided with the chocolate. These TCHO Deep Chocolate Brownies are my favorite kind of brownie--dense, fudgy, with a crackly top and slightly crisp edges. These brownies were pretty outrageously good, with a great chocolate flavor. Here's my little brownie quirk: after cutting the batch into squares, I always cut my piece into small cubes to eat one at a time, just like a piece of chocolate. It's a good way to feel like you're indulging yourself...and also a good way to mask how many tiny brownie bites you actually eat!

What about you? Any brownie quirks? Favorite type of brownie? Any blondie lovers in the house? (The baked good, not the tired comic strip character.) Read on for the brownie recipe...

TCHO Deep Chocolate Brownies

Recipe by Emily Luchetti, courtesy of TCHO

8 ounces TCHO 68% Cacao Baking Drops, finely chopped
5 ounces (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Melt the chocolates and butter in a double boiler over hot water. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture. Sift together and then stir in the flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.

Bake until a skewer inserted in the center, comes out fudgy and not dry, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Run a knife around the inside edge of the pan. Place a cutting board on top of the pan. Invert the pan and board. Remove the pan and carefully peel off the parchment paper.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish someone would send me chocolate - those brownies look simply perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:52 AM

    No quirks, but I love the crackly top that brownies get! These look really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this...I've been baking with TCHOCOLATE for a couple of months now. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Megan--how do you get chocolate companies to send you chocolate? ;)
    The brownies look de-lish! My favorite lately has been the Dorie Tribute to KH brownies with caramel and pecans in the center!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:20 PM

    I just made the best brownie ever for father's day last month! It was very chocolate-y, crunchy from pistachios and the insides were runny, almost like a fondant! So perfect, that dad was lucky i didn't finish the whole thing before i gave it to him.:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those brownies look just perfect for my tastes! I love your idea of cutting the individual piece into little squares-I'll have to give that a try! Maybe it will keep me from eating the entire pan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heya..thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the nice post. I am expecting some different idea from your side. You always represent some new thought in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing..you really made my day & after reading this Surely..i ll twit this to my all friends to know more about this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These brownies are looking so yummy. Wish i could just grab them.. From the screen itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing .i really love cakes and
    pastries Acai Berry

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy!! It looks delicious. Post some more recipe. I love chocolates.
    no nonsense muscle building

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very great recipes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete