Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wedding Cake Fever

People. People. I have been so busy. Apparently mid-March brings not only spring fever, but wedding fever as well. Here's a glimpse at what I've been up to lately:

This was a cake we did at work. The bride was allergic to corn syrup, so instead of fondant and gumpaste we used chocolate plastic to cover the cake, and royal icing for some of the embellishments.

Most of this cake was actually styrofoam. The top tier was real, and a small chunk of the bottom tier was real (so the bride & groom could cut it for the photos.) The rest was fake. We did do two sheet cakes for them as well, to feed the guests. It was a chiffon cake with vanilla pastry cream and vanilla-poached pears.

The H's were cut out of chocolate plastic and painted gold with luster dust.


This is a wedding cake I did at home. The bride and groom met through their cats, so they wanted to incorporate their cats into the cake.

The paw prints actually go all the way around and climb down the back of the cake.

Each paw and claw, individually cut and molded from fondant, with love.

This is how the finished cake looked. The florist added the flowers at the location. The cake itself was a lemon cake with lemon cream and fresh strawberries.

I also did the favors for this wedding. Each guest got two truffles (milk and semi-sweet chocolate) decorated with the heart and the couple's monogrammed initials.

Stay tuned, because this week we're working on a Smart Car cake that promises to be awesome. Hopefully I will be back on the regular blog-posting train soon. Life is still crazy busy, so I can't guarantee anything. In the words of Homer Simpson, "I can't promise that I will, and I can't promise that I'll try. But I promise that I'll try to try."

11 comments:

  1. Wow, after reading this post, I am convinced that wedding fever does exist. So many project, so little time. Everything looks fabulous, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, absolutely beautiful! I love the paw prints and I love the truffles - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cakes are great, but I absolutely love the one with the paw prints: soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:58 AM

    I love the paw prints - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cake creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love the cat prints they are flawless! I am going to make my first wedding cake in June I hope mine turns out as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool cakes! I'm curious to see that Smart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:53 AM

    Oh my gosh, those paw prints are too adorable! What a neat cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:11 PM

    weddings are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of making a cake like that, but it sounds like a great idea considering how much cake we had left over last year after a weeding. Love the 'paw' cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!!! Want to come make a wedding cake for me in July??

    ReplyDelete