Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Apple Crumb Cake

Riddle me this: how is it that I can be completely unimpressed with a dessert and still eat half of it, standing up at the kitchen counter? THAT is a mystery for the ages.[Another mystery for the ages is why it is so difficult to photograph powdered sugar without it becoming an electric-white eyesore. Please enlighten me immediately.]

So yeah, this was another 'meh' entry for me, but I can't write it off entirely. I think with a few tweaks, I could grow to love it.

A few problems were of my own creation. I didn't have walnuts for the crumb topping so I used almonds, which I didn't like at all--way too strong. And instead of blueberries, I used sauteed apples that were caramelized with some butter and brown sugar. I thought apple cake seemed way more salivation-worthy than blueberry cake, but I was apparently mistaken. The apples were plentiful, but didn't add enough flavor, or moisture. The cake just wasn't exciting and it was a bit dry...
...which brings me to my next point. The 8x8 pyrex pan I baked this in (the recommended pan, no less) was insane. These were some mondo, honkin slices of cake. And the pyrex caused the edges and bottom to get really, really brown before the center was done. Next time I'd do it in a 9x9 pan (not pyrex!) to make a cake that doesn't resemble the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and that doesn't get extra tasty crispy around the edges.
But with all that being said, I compulsively nibbled the moist center in between taking these photos, so I obviously can't complain too much. In fact, I could go for some apple crumb cake right now...

21 comments:

  1. The apples sound great in this. Your cake looks great even though it was a tad dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the apples sound great too! Too bad you didn't like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try the apple version! Sorry it wasn't a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it was meh...

    We loved it....and I heart crumb topping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the apples sound good for this recipe. If using apples I would double the cinnamon.

    Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done that so many time! I sit there in the kitchen and think, eh, this is just okay, yet somehow, I find myself nibbling away at the dessert anyway. I must say, though, this cake looks pretty fabulous. What kind of tweaking (besides the 9x9 pan) are we talking about? I love the idea of apples; I think it'd be awesome to make them work in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are beautiful, and I baked mine in a metal 8x8 and it came out nicely & cooked through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could dive right through my montior. That cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really like the idea of using apples in this cake. I also wasn't a really big fan of the super crispy edges but I just ate my pieces from the inside and left the outside pieces for the others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how to make everything so elegant! Fancy must be your middle name! LOL Beautiful as usual, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:57 PM

    Sorry it didn't work out so well for you. The pictures still look good though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry this didn't thrill you! I also used apples but we loved it. I have often continued to eat something that wasn't thrilling, I think because I keep wanting it to thrill me and I figure the next bite will be the one that induces rapture. That usually doesn't work but I can't seem to unlearn the behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I glad you tried the recipe.. apple sounds like a really good replacement. I used blueberries and it too came out a little dry.. thinking of adding some oil or more butter for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum what a great idea..apples! I thought this recipe was super good and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:38 PM

    The apples sound like a great idea -- I'm sorry they didn't work. You should definitely try it again with blueberries. It was absolutely delicious, one of our favorite Dorie recipes so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think apples would be great in this cake. Maybe add some applesauce for more moisture. But it looks great - even with the electric-white eyesore. And it isn't. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually like the apple idea, but now I'm worried since it didn't go so well for you. It looks fabulous though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too bad it was tall and dry. :( The apples sound like a great addition though! It really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Apples sound delicious! Sorry it wasn't your favorite but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, i wish i had used apples! I didn't like mine. It was way too moist, like a pudding. I completely agree with you on the pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know, it looks plenty good to me. Maybe it just needs a bit more cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete