Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Coconut Butter Thins

I will be the first to admit that these Coconut Butter Thins aren't going to win first place in any beauty pageants.
However, I think they have a good shot at winning Miss Congeniality (the award, not the Sandra Bullock movie). I made these after reading a lot of feedback from my fellow TWD'ers, which was a unanimous group tonguebath over how great these cookies were. I made the dough, and tasted it. Fine, not outstanding. Just to be sure, I had several more spoonfuls of dough over the course of the two hours it was chilling, and each time found it to be pretty average. But then...I baked the cookies.

Do not be deceived! These are tasty in a super-sneaky way. Like, I had one, and thought, that was pretty good, and went about my business. Two minutes later I found myself at the table, mindlessly cramming more of these cookies into my gaping maw, with no memory of how I got there. A cookie-induced coma, if you will, that happened on a regular basis until I wised up and put them all in a tupperware container, out of temptation's way.

The puzzling thing is that this is really not the kind of cookie I usually go for. I'm a chocolatey, gooey-chewy kind of girl, and these are the exact opposite. Very light, crispy, and buttery, with a subtle chew and sweetness from shredded coconut, a crunch from salted macadamias, and just a hint of lime and cardamom. No flavor is strong enough to really assert itself, but they work together beautifully. Many people mentioned that their turned out "lacy," while mine retained their square shape fairly well. You can see from the picture of the back of the cookie, though, that it does have a fairly delicate texture on the inside.

I don't think these cookies will ever be my go-to comfort cookies, but I can see them working beautifully as a tea cookie or an after-dinner cookie with coffee or hot chocolate. I also think they would be amazing as an accompaniment to a fruity sorbet like coconut, lime, or mango. With summer coming up, cookies and sorbet are sure to be on my dessert short list, so I expect these will make regular appearances throughout the season.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out my Easter candy giveaway, and enter before midnight on Wednesday!

17 comments:

  1. I liked these a lot and agree with you: they taste way better after baking the dough!

    Your giveaway looks great, lots of interesting Easter Sweets that we don't have over here. That's a good thing though, considering my diet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yours are absolutely beautiful! Mine didn't hold their shape as well. Your photos are great. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. group tonguebath? --- LOL, you have a way with words!!:) These are definitely not photogenic cookies, but boy did they taste wonderful. Great job Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos, especially the flip side and the last one with the toasty macadamia peeking out. You and I are on the same page--I am also a meltly chocolate chip kind of girl, but these floored me with their subtle chew and hint of lime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:36 AM

    I'm with you on the chewy chocolate cookie preference, but these were addictive in their own subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cookies look grand. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually think your cookies look awesome! And you are right, these are amazing once cooked! Definitely addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to taste these.

    As soon as my head cold goes away I will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos and glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I think I actually preferred the dough to the baked cookies :) I'm with you though - give me a chewy, chocolate cookie any day! Great job with your cookies - they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look really tasty. I tried the dough, safe as it was, but the cookie was by far better. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz, I'm totally with you: I'm usually an ooey, gooey chocolate girl, but if you're telling me that these cookies can send you into that cookie-coma trance, well, then, I simply must try them. Yours turned out beautifully! I love that they didn't spread too much; I like a little heft in my cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right, they're not the best of looking, but boy... were they ever good!

    Yours look pretty nice! Well done Liz... once again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. goshdarnit10:33 AM

    Ya, OK, nice cookies...
    Who won the chocolate?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) What a great post! These cookies look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still need to try these, they look good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny, I had a similar experience where suddenly I woke up and the plate was empty, except for a few crumbs.... Great job!

    ReplyDelete