Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving round-up: Pumpkin Pie

I admit that pumpkin pie is not my favorite. I love pumpkin flavor in breads and other baked goods, but somehow that has never translated to pie love. I suspect it's a texture thing mostly, but I've never been too bothered, as Thanksgiving means plenty of other desserts to eat. However, I was very pleasantly surprised with my pumpkin pie this year. I actually liked it! It's got an amazing spiced flavor, and the texture was mousse-like and smooth, not gelatinous or goopy. This recipe is definitely a keeper.


Pumpkin Pie (makes 1-9")
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups canned or fresh pumpkin
  • 3 oz granulated sugar
  • 3 oz brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3/4 cup cream
  • 1/4 cup whole milk or half-and-half
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Procedure:
Combine pumpkin and both sugars in a large mixing bowl on low speed. Add all spices and blend well. Add eggs and yolk until incorporated, then add vanilla, cream, milk, and maple syrup until well blended. Pour into prebaked pie crust and bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then at 325 for another 30-45 minutes, until center is mostly set but slightly jiggly in center. Overbaking is the bane of pumpkin pies, and causes them to crack.

No cracks at all! The pie crust was not my finest, but considering how many pies I had to bake at work this week, it's a wonder I was able to summon the mental fortitude to make pies in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment