Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TWD: Nutty Swirly Sour Cream Bundt Cake


I'm a little late posting this amazing bundt cake I made over the weekend, but I have a good excuse. Her name is Madeline, and she is verrrrrry distracting.

My niece is visiting for a few days, and we've had a swell time getting to know each other better. Madeline's likes include Olivia the Piglet, swinging, knocking down her wooden giraffe, and playing hide-and-seek. Her dislikes include going to bed on time, sun in her eyes, dirty hands, and, until recently, my baking.

I know. I KNOW. The last time I baked for her, I made a mini cake for her 1-year birthday. This was pretty much the reaction I got. Completely underwhelmed. So of course I was anxious to make a good impression this time around.
I brought out a secret weapon: a rich chocolate ganache glaze atop the cake, with more available to serve on the side.

I also tried to be generous with the flavors, using brown sugar, lots of bittersweet chocolate chunks, and fresh-grated cinnamon in the bundt's swirly layers. After all, 20-month olds are well known to have finely developed palates.


I think my strategy worked, because all of us--toddler included--loved this cake! This is the second Dorie bundt cake the has completely blown me away (the first being the Double Apple Bundt Cake).

It was rich, it was moist, it was flavorful, with the tang of sour cream and orange zest, and the thick swirl of chocolate, brown sugar, and cinnamon. This is a cake dainty enough to be served in small slices with tea, but delicious enough to be eaten out of the hand standing over the sink. Not that I would know that from experience.

This is a keeper and a make-again (and again, and again) for sure. In fact, I might be making it sooner rather than later, because her highness was none too pleased to find out the cake's completely eaten:

5 comments:

  1. Love that little girl's hair! Cute post. Great minds again, Liz. I ganached my minis. Do you have a favorite ganache glaze recipe? I just made a cream/chocolate ganache that seemed a little gloppy (but still tasted great). You're an expert ;), so just wondering, if once you've made a ganache and want it thinner, can you just add a little more hot cream to thin it without it going wacko? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks heavenly...great call on the ganache! Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. I'm new here but wanted you to know that I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I had a great visit and will be back. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this sure sounds amazing. And that's such a sweet girl, glad she know has the sense to like your stuff! I mean really, how could she not??

    ReplyDelete