Tuesday, March 02, 2010

TWD: Coconut Cream Tart Mad Libs

Sometimes I feel like my Tuesdays with Dorie posts get a little predictable. Maybe it's to be expected, when you bake something from the same cookbook every week, there's bound to be some repetition and overlap of sentiment. But it really struck me as I went to write this entry that I have said it all before. Maybe it was the post about the Pear Pistachio Tart, or the Banana Cream Pies, or the Chocolate Cream Tart, but somewhere in there, I've exhausted my supply of pastry cream-filled tart chatter.


So instead, of writing the same old thing, I thought we'd shake it up a little bit and do Food Blogging Mad Libs! Now you, too, can write my blog posts by filling in the blanks with the types of words suggested in parenthesis.

When I learned that this week's TWD recipe was _______________ [type of baked good], I was ____________ [emotion]. I mean, I have ___________ [past tense emotion] these ever since I was ___________ [age]! Truthfully, I was a little scared to make the ___________ [dessert component] because my ___________ [kitchen tool] is on the fritz, but I got my _________ [family member] to help me and __________ [action] the __________ [ingredient] with their ___________ [body part]. The end product was __________ [adjective]! It was as __________[adjective] as a ________[noun] and it had a __________ [adjective] flavor. My ________ [family member] especially _________ [past tense emotion] it and ate __________[number] helpings. Another ___________[adjective] recipe!

[If anyone actually does this, please tell me the results, because it was cracking me up just typing it.]


Truthfully, I thought this was great for what it was, which is to say, pastry-cream based tarts aren't quite my cup of tea. As always I greatly reduced the corn starch in the cream and found it to be much better that way, and I added toasted coconut to the tart dough, which might be my new favorite variation. Because of my personal preferences I was lukewarm on this, but my husband really liked it, and I think it's a solid recipe if you're a creamy tart lover.

18 comments:

  1. so cute & fun mad libs! I felt the same way writing my post this week- I need to mix things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so funny...
    thanks for making me smile this afternoon. And btw your tart looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is genius. I will be thinking of it when i draft my post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that--pastry cream tart chatter.
    And the mad libs--awesome! You are brilliant. Custardy things are not my favorite either, but I made this and it wasn't bad. Now, please pass a chocolate chip cookie/brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's funny just reading it and imagining what could replace the blanks... LOL

    Love the presentation of your minis, very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:55 PM

    Coconut in the crust sounds wonderful - I love crust and I love coconut!

    Your Mad Lib is great! I spent many hours doing Mad Libs when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I learned that this week's TWD recipe was [Toasted Coconut Tart], I was [hyper]. I mean, I have [needed] these ever since I was [4]! Truthfully, I was a little scared to make the [whipped cream] because my [can opener] is on the fritz, but I got my [dog] to help me and [lick] the [rum] with their [tongue]. The end product was [drunktastic]! It was as [beautiful] as a [flower] and it had an [intense] flavor. My [brother's wife's cousin's sister] especially [enjoyed] it and ate [100] helpings. Another [wicked] recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wicked, I might have to "borrow" your mad lib one day when I run out of things to say on a post.

    Even if you were lukewarm about the tarts, you've lavished them with so much attention, they look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was so fun to read, filling in the blanks as I did. :) How creative! Your tarts look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tarts are too pretty to eat, almost:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mad Libs!! Brings back memories of Girl Scout camp and slumber parties. They made books for this. I think you should do these more often. Even filling it out in my head was funny (well, to me!)

    I know what you mean about blogging similar recipes. But you do a great job, which is why I keep coming back.

    Tart looks great by the way. Glad at least the Hubs enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, you are so funny. I really enjoyed this one, I love your piping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliance....the posts are starting to sound like mad libs :)...your tarts look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the tips on the cornstarch, etc. as I usually just know enough to be able to follow a recipe and always am in such awe of those of you who know how to fiddle with the ingredients and have it turn out even better! Your tart looks elegant and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're such a creative lady! Tom helped me with your Mad Libs. He based the whole thing around a craving for the brownies we have in the kitchen right now, so thanks for helping our evening segue into brownie and ice cream deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with these little tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cyrina12:12 PM

    Hey,
    I love your blog! I enjoy reading your recipes.
    I just wanted to ask if there was no possibility for your blog to be translate in French because I'm from Paris, France and even if I'm studying English at college sometimes there's words that I can't understand ( which is, I think, important for the recipes ). I was just asking.
    Thank you.
    Cyrina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha I LOVE those Mad Libs!

    ReplyDelete