Monday, September 21, 2009

TWD: Cottage Cheese Pufflets

Wow, sucks to be these Cottage Cheese Pufflets. On any other week, I'd make them and think, "Hey, those were pretty good. The dough was ridiculously soft and finnicky, and they could have been flakier, but overall they were pretty solid." However, the Pufflets (which, by the way, will be my next band name) had the unfortunate luck to follow on the heels of the Flaky Apple Turnovers, a truly excellent pastry.



Sadly, these just could not compare to the turnovers. In form they're practically identical--a tangy, slightly sweet, flaky dough folded over a fruit filling--in this case, homemade strawberry preserves. This dough had cottage cheese blended into the butter, which is something I had never heard of, and I'm cottage cheese's #1 fan. In fact, I could go for some cottage cheese pancakes right now. But pastry dough? That's a new one to me.

In contrast to the low-maintenance turnover dough, THIS dough required multiple extended chilling times, kid gloves, shiatsu massage, and a snack of peeled grapes before it would consent to being handled. And even then, I felt like I was gambling every time I touched it and tried to persuade it to enclose just one more spoonful of dough. Diva!



And after all the babying of the dough, the cookies were...good. Tasty. But certainly not worth the time and effort, when I could whip up a batch of flaky apple turnovers and have time leftover for re-watching Glee for the 100th time (yesssss!). Sorry, pufflets. Maybe next time you'll follow, like, Spam Snickerdoodles or something, and you'll be extra-tasty in comparison.

19 comments:

  1. You are so right about the unfortunate line-up. But yours appear to have turned out great. Spam Snickerdoodles? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pufflets look great but they were a total pain to make. I liked them more than the turnovers but maybe it was because I liked the filling in the pufflets. Send me over a spam snickerdoodle. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I join the Pufflets band? Just think of the possibilities for song names........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree tasty but a pain in the keester to make! Im glad I tried them but can't say I would go to all that trouble again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you didnt like these as much, and sorry they had to follow the turnovers, but they sure look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now if ever somthing goes wrong with your career (which I surely don't for wish you) ...we all know now, that you could easily get the head chef job at Pillsbury's! Those are amazingly perfect, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha - I couldn't agree more...these paled in comparison to the apple turnovers. Yours really look fantiastic though!! PS - love you blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m sorry you didn’t like these, they still looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little more finicky dough than the turnovers. I felt I should just see how much more creative I could get with the fillings. Certainly tastes good. Just a little too much sticky work. And your post is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:58 PM

    They look really nice, but I agree they were a huge hassle!

    I'm intrigued by the cottage cheese pancakes now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yours look awesome!! mine are just bunches of mushed up dough w/a dab of jam

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww too bad you didn't like them... but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, these are definitely the middle child of the TWD month. With more time behind me, on reflection they weren't stupendous enough to warrant the extra attention (shiatsu! peeled grapes! You really make me laugh). I haven't made the apple turnovers yet but they are on my list. You pufflets at least look puffy, which is more than a lot of us could encourage them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. now I REALLY have to try the turnovers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But yours look perfect. Full of jammy goodness. Beautiful!

    Good, but yes,not as good as the turnovers.

    Shiatsu massage and peeled grapes. LMAO.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even though you think they're just good.. they look REALLY good :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually liked the Nutella, but rest of Fam did not care for. But I have only recently discovered Nutella. Good stuff. In pufflets, on toast, right out of the jar....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2:12 PM

    I don't have time for high-maintenance dough! (unless it is croissant dough). Your pufflets look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job here. I really enjoyed what you had to say. Keep going because you definitely bring a new voice to this subject. Not many people would say what you’ve said and still make it interesting. Well, at least I’m interested. Cant wait to see more of this from you.

    ReplyDelete