Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Oatmeal-Peanut-Chocolate Cookies

I passed on last week's TWD recipe because I was all alone in the house and couldn't justify making a big ice cream-ganache cake with only my lonesome to eat it, and my miserly self couldn't justify using almost a dozen eggs and pounds of chocolate, only to gift the whole thing to friends. There you have it, folks--cheap and selfish. No apologies! However, this week I've returned to the TWD party, cookies in hand. But not just any cookies, we're talking "Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters." (I think the title is bigger than some of the cookies.)

These cookies are a delicious Frankensteinian combination of oatmeal, peanut butter, and chocolate chip cookies. I like oatmeal cookies but I dislike raisins, so I rarely make traditional oatmeal cookies. Similarly, I like peanut butter cookies but they're not my absolute favorite, so I don't often make them for myself. But I luuurve chocolate chip cookies, so these babies seemed like the perfect combination of three American favorites. The peanut butter flavor is a little subtle, but I actually liked that, since it didn't overwhelm the spices or chocolate. I made these right before taking a trip to visit family, and my brothers gobbled them up right away, sometimes two at a time. I'll take that as a sign of success.

Although the taste was great, I think the texture could use a little work. Other people had gorgeous chunky cookie globes, while mine were fairly flat. I admit to a bit of cookie envy! I want to try and create the "chunky" cookie Dorie promised me--I love a cookie with heft and substantial thickness. I'll be making these again soon, and again, until I get my perfect cookie.




15 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:32 AM

    These are sooooo easy to eat two at a time.

    My cookies have been puffier since I finally invested in Silpat. I thought I could get away with just parchment paper, but the Silpat makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours look so pretty -- they don't look flat in the pictures! Glad they were a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cookies just the way you made yours - not too puffy, not too flat, just right. Yep, me and Goldilocks! Great job with these.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great to me, but if you want to repeat them that's fine by me. Do you need help with the leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the comment you left me today-hilarious. Your cookies look great and I had fun reading your profile too. Great books on your list, and I'm with you about any book is great if it makes it worth it to stay up late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cookies look fine! We really liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frankensteinian combination...LOL :)
    The cookies look wonderful. And judos on the Eclairs. I am out of words to admire them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What nice pictures!

    I think chilling the dough really well before baking might help them be thicker. You could also try adding a bit more flour for a very thick dough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they look fantastic. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies look great. I think every cookie has character!! I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great recipe from Dorie!!
    Mine were indeed quite chuncky, I didn't pop the batter in the fridge though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have chunky cookie envy too! I think next time I'll ignore Dorie's suggestion to flatten them before baking and see if I can get a more (preferable) rounded cookie ;)
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  13. they look great, even if they aren't as puffy as you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cashew nuts are packed with antioxidants and stimulate the immune system. Want to buy jecashew nuts online? Order cashew nuts at Allnuts of course! Everyone knows these wonderfully healthy nuts. They stand out because of their specific kidney shape and have long been used as "cocktail nuts". When we buy cashew nuts, these are usually peeled. In the natural form, the nuts are covered by a woody peel. This has a brown-gray color and feels smooth. Cashew nuts grow on the cashmere tree, which some people also call acajuu tree or elephant lock tree. This tree originally only grew in the Caribbean, Central America and in the North of Brazil. This distribution area was later extended to India, Brazil, Nigeria, Mozambique, Indonesia and Tanzania. Cashewnoten

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pecans are very tasty and are full of vitamin E and antioxidants. Do you want to buy pecans online? Order pecans at Allnuts! Pecans are also so popular with many people. They are a bit like walnuts and that is no wonder. The pecan tree and the walnut tree belong to the same botanical family.However, unlike walnut, pecans are not native nuts. You won't find pecan trees in our region. These trees are native to the southern United States. There is a warm temperate climate to a subtropical climate and pecans are doing very well there. They can reach a height of 50 to 60 meters! It is therefore no wonder that the United States is the world's largest producer of these nuts. However, the trees can also grow in other subtropical areas.Certain varieties of pecan trees that grow in the United States can also come into their own in European countries with a similar climate. Although pecans resemble walnuts, we still see striking differences. The peels of pecans are already hard while they are still hanging on the tree.When they are ripe, the two halves of the casing spontaneously open. You do not need a nutcracker for this. Pecannoten

    ReplyDelete