Monday, March 10, 2008

Hazelnut Gelato: The Cure for A Hot Day



Chewy chocolate cookies sandwich homemade hazelnut gelato, topped with chocolate-hazelnut sauce (like homemade Nutella). We had the Nutella left over from our annual Valentine's Day crepefest; it had been languishing in the refrigerator ever since. I used my own chocolate cookie recipe and this gelato recipe. The whole package tasted great, but I wasn't too impressed with the gelato by itself. Although I liked that it didn't call for two cups of whole cream the way most ice cream recipes do, the truth is that all of the fat in the cream produces a great texture that can't be equaled by less fatty half and half. It wasn't bad, and the hazelnut flavor was great, but the texture was a bit too thin for my taste.

We don't make ice cream too frequently around here, since there's just the two of us to eat it, but I've already picked the ice cream flavor to be made next time the urge strikes. David Lebovitz shared this recipe for Salted Butter Caramel ice cream that sounds amazing. We need to have a dinner party to give me an excuse to make it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very interesting! I will check this out!

    ReplyDelete